Alabama Libertarian Forums Forum Index Alabama Libertarian Forums
A Marketplace of Ideas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free City Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama Libertarian Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dude6935

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Free City Project Reply with quote

How about mirroring the national Free State Project with a local Free City project? Instead of asking freedom minded people to move to a freedom loving state, we could ask them to move to a freedom loving city nearby. I would be much more likely to move to another city in Alabama than New Hampshire.

We could set out to show the state how a free city would operate. We could set a good example for others to follow. We would need to focus on getting enough people to move into an area to have a significant impact on voting. We would only need to account for a small fraction of the populous to influence who wins elections. It would also be much easier to elect representatives to local office.

This kind of approach would cross party lines as well. Those disaffected republicans and democrats could join such an effort without agreeing with 100% of a libertarian platform. The project would need to be a spin-off in order to get non-libertarians involved. This is how the Free State Project is organized.

Once we have a strong voice in government, we would have to focus on the biggest issues local issues, education, taxes, law enforcement, ect.
jdcrownover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. I, too, really have no desire to move to the frigid North-East.

It should be a pretty small town, just a few thousand people. Any nominations?
dude6935

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to chose a city with low taxes, low unemployment, and a relatively small population. I'm thinking towns between 5,000 and 25,000 people.

Perhaps we should commission a (low budget) study to identify the most free cities in Alabama. We could use that to pick candidate cities. Once published it would also help free minded people choose where they want to live based on an expectation of freedom. That would accelerate the movement of people from oppressive cities to free ones. Thus accelerating the financial collapse of nanny cities and growing freedom loving cities.

I tried to search for this information, and there was little info out there on this subject.
Edmvnd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible idea. suck it up and move. fsp and nh is the only game in town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama Libertarian Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: