Alabama Libertarian Forums Forum Index Alabama Libertarian Forums
A Marketplace of Ideas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Alabama Libertarian Plan of Action for 2010.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama Libertarian Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captruss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: An Alabama Libertarian Plan of Action for 2010. Reply with quote

In this space in the coming weeks I intend to write and submit an action plan for 2010. Now that we have the beginnings of a platform we need to implement a plan to get our message out and try to get on some ballots.

Someone in the EC estimated we need $75,000.00 to get on the ballot statewide. Anyone care to be the money angel? I'm going to try to find someone or one or two to contribute the money along with the plan.

For now, call it the Alabama Libertarian Party business plan.
captruss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first part of an action plan must include raising enough money to purchase petition gathering to get on the ballot statewide in 2010. I have heard that the company hired to perform that task is having trouble raising money.

I do not know what they are doing to raise the money, which I hear will require $75,000 to $100,000 dollars.

Any state party should be able to raise that much if it is any good at all. I'm going to contact the EC to see where they are and try to formulate a plan this week.
captruss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there is the foundation of a plan to raise money and get ballot access. There will be an important Executive Committee meeting on Saturday January 24th. Everyone is invited. Contact one of the officers for details.

The next phase involves figuring out where the party is going. For instance, if someone came up to you and asked you for help in getting where they are going you would probably be of more help if they knew where they were going.

If they said I'm not sure but I want you to help me anyway you would probably decline their request.

Same thing with us. In my opinion we have to identify issues that Alabama Democrats and Republicans won't touch and are very important to large numbers of Alabamians. Here are a few which come to mind.

We need to champion calls for a Constitutional Convention and join forces with those groups.

We should be the pro gambling in Alabama party advocating using gambling to reduce or eliminate property taxes.

We should be the party who advocates appointing judges rather than electing them and who advocates voting to retain or remove sitting judges.

We need to be the party who will refuse to allow the teachers union of Alabama (AEA) to run the state.

And so on.

We then have candidates and ALP officers start pounding on these themes and attracting contributors.

Phase 3 of the action plan is the recruiting and vetting of candidates who can support a written Libertarian Party Platform.

More on this next time.
captruss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the Alabama Libertarian Party needs, in the roadmap I propose, a set of goals which will be achieved by 2010. Here are a few presented for discussion.

Since we need 40,000 signatures minimum to get on the ballot I think the first goal should be a membership of at least 25 percent of that number or 10,000 members.

Second, we should have a goal of raising $100,000 by the 2010 deadline for submitting petitions.

Third we need to get on the ballot by getting 60,000 petition signatures.

Fourth we need to identify Gubernatorial candidate(s) and other statewide office candidates as soon as possible. Our goal should be to have a primary in 2010 with some contested races.

Fifth, we need a party organizer (volunteer) who can assist the EC in developing plans for meeting these goals.

Sixth, We need a publicity drive to start using the Executive Director as a conduit for press releases about the positive direction of the Libertarian Party and its 2010 campaign themes.

Seventh we need a 67 county plan to install representatives and organiations in every Alabama County reporting to regional Chairpersons.

Eighth, we need an action plan to insure that we have a big enough tent for women and minorities to join the fray.

Ninth, we must make plans for internet recruitment of members and improve our web site.

And tenth, we must make a plan to recruit as many candidates for office as we can for 2010, both statewide and for State Senate and Representative. This must include workshops for candidates to teach them how to run a campaign.

With these ten goals we have a beginning. Let's talk about them.
captruss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note what the party has produced for a set of legislative priorities. I don't have a problem with any of them but most are nitpickers. I'm disappointed that we don't attack on the Constitution, taxes, gambling, corporate welfare and education. All things that really matter to Alabamians.

The Libertarian Party of Alabama offer our best wishes for the upcoming new year!

Trying to live free in an un-free world (as Harry Browne put it) can be trying. Here is what the Libertarian Party of Alabama will be working on in the upcoming year to try to make things a bit more free. Let us know if we missed any issues and be sure to send us contact info!

Legislative Issues*

Through Alabama Compassionate Care - We will be supporting legislation to legalize medical marijuana for patients (http://compassionate-care.blogspot.com/) Loretta Nall has been heading up this issue and has developed a great network of folks. We expect to work once again with her and expect additional progress with this issue.

NO to RealID - Various folks are lobbying against Real ID. Last year we helped introduce a resolution opposing Alabama's participation with the Federally mandated program. Although it passed out of committee and the House, it stalled in t he Senate. We would encourage folks to once again call their representatives and ask them to fight against the privacy intrusions of the Real ID program. For additional details about the issue visit No2RealID.org.

Through Independent Alabama (IA) - Proportional Representation- We will be supporting a bill for proportional representation for presidential electors. This would help open the political process to third parties by changing the rules regarding the allocation of presidential electors (who really elect our president) from a winner-take-all system to a proportional system in Alabama. Unless a third party or independent candidate is capable of taking a state - they are incapable of gaining any electoral college votes and therefore virtually powerless. (www.IndependentAlabama.org)

IA Ballot access Reduction - We will be supporting a bill reducing ballot access requirements for third parties and independent candidates. This will save us a great deal of money and create opportunities permitting us to focus on running candidates as opposed to gathering inordinate numbers of signatures. (www.IndependentAlabama.org) Rep. Cam Ward was the sponsor last year and we look forward to working with him.

Repeal Groceries Tax - There has been talk about this issue for some time from various quarters. We are looking to see if there are any brave sponsors and if introduced we expect to jump on board and help get this passed.

Free the Hops http://www.freethehops.org/ - Gourmet beers need to legalized. The group behind this issue has done an incredible job and we ask libertarians that enjoy fine beverages to get involved.

Death Penalty - A segment of our membership has been fighting for this issue behind the scenes for years and if you would like to step up please contact the folks at: Alabama Committee to Abolish the Death Penalty PO Box 948, Leeds,AL 35094 205-699-2274.

Animal ID - This is an issue simmering in the background.Few folks are even aware of it... This commentary from Rep. Ron Paul:

“The House of Representatives recently passed funding for a new federal mandate that threatens to put thousands of small farmers and ranchers out of business. The National Anima l Identification System, known as NAIS, is an expensive and unnecessary federal program that requires owners of livestock– cattle, dairy, poultry, and even horses– to tag animals with electronic tracking devices. The intrusive monitoring system amounts to nothing more than a tax on livestock owners, allowing the federal government access to detailed information about their private property.“

Smoking issue - The American Cancer Society has been successfully pushing the ban on public smoking for some time. We are searching for sponsors of legislation that would protect business owner's rights.

Sex Toys - This is the issue that has our lawmakers blushing. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear a challenge to Alabama's ban on the sale of sex toys, ending a nine-year legal battle and sending a warning to store owners to clean off their shelves.The only remedy is to pass legislation legalizing the sale of "sex toys" We have supported this bill in the past and expect to make additional progress in 2009.

Transpare nt Government - We will supporting legislation that would require our state government to provide to the public over the internet a clear and easily accessible database that details spending. In 2009, the “Alabama Right to Know” legislation will be introduced by State Sen. Arthur Orr (R-Decatur) and Rep. Mike Ball (R-Madison) that will include:

Transparency in government spending. A searchable database of all state expenditures; contracts; legislative grants; and state grants.
2) Requiring electronic filing of campaign contributions and expenditures.
3) nbsp; Disclosure of all public officials or family members of public officials who are employed by the state, or who have a contract with the state, county or a municipality.

Running Candidates - We are always looking for serious candidates. If you are looking at running for public office, please contact us. We will have candidate training seminars available this year.
Let us know if you are willing to help out with any of these issues and be doubly sure to get in touch with the appropriate group.>>
mrjones0913

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: State of the Libertarian Party Reply with quote

I see all the work that one person has put into making what the Alabama Libertarian Party is to stand for in 2010. I do not however see anyone else following the lead. I have watched this party from the outside looking in for several years and I have yet to see the cohesiveness that it needs to ever become a player in Alabama. I have voted Libertarian in the last 3 presidential and governor's races and yet I really do not know why except for Mr. Brown we have never had anyone that has been true to the party line on most issues let alone all. I may be wrong like I said i have been on the outside looking in. The United States is in serious trouble and this is the time if ever for our party to stand up and make its self known to the people of the United States that we are a party that can be trusted to lead in this great nation. I see though our opportunity slipping away with the pettiness that keeps us splintered in to many subgroups without a togetherness that the Democratic and the Republican party has. If we do not show a strong group and band together in 2010 then we will be doomed to the ways of the Federalist, Wigs, and Dixecrats. That's right doomed to the history books. I would love to be at the meeting on the 24, but I have too work and jobs are hard to find in this economy and I have an OK one. My only hope for those of you meeting in the morning is that you find good candidates that stand for our ground principles and do not waiver from these. I will be checking back tomorrow night to see where we stand and giving my insights in the party.
captruss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Mr. Jones. Frustration runs rampant here. It's nice to have someone else on my deserted island.

Russ
mrjones0913

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: The State of the Party Reply with quote

I was not able to attend the meeting in Birmingham today I hope that some great things came out of it, but I have a gut feeling it was business as usual there. The Alabama Libertarian Party must find an identity not a split personality that I see with all these single issues. With all these single issues and no cohesiveness between the groups we are like the Indian nations of this great country many years ago when they fought the settlers but has individual tribes and they were eventually all defeated. The most notable time that the Indian nations did come together as a cohesive team and fight together they won the most famous battle of all The Battle of Little Big Horn.If this party is not ready for their on Little Big Horn in the 2010 governor's race then we will never defeat the two major parties and our ballot access will become none existent. The pettiness that I read form all theses one issue people is sicking the Democrat is did not take control of BOTH CHAMBERS AND THE WHITE HOUSE with one issue it was a complexity of issues. The state of the Alabama party will remain the same as long as the same Leadership stays in charge and is happy to have a title following their name. I know some out their will say well do something about this. I would but the party is so broken and splintered that I do not even have a contact for the area that I live and the capital of our great state is in the district where I am suppose to be. Leadership is the key here and I challenge all in leadership position to lead and not give in to pettiness. I know we are a third party not one of the big two, but do we have to act like we are a joke. The purpose of ever leader is to ready more leaders not make more followers. The leaders of this party must step up and agree on a across the board platform that all will follow not one group with this plank and another with that plank, but one solid platform to build on and to get out there to the public. Do we all remember that a third party in the last twenty years has received 18% of total votes in a Presidential election (H. Ross Perot). Four years ago you could not have found ten people in the United States that would have said President Obama would be president in 2009 and here we are. Lets get off our butts become on group and get things started or we will be doomed to status quo of the big two in 2010.
In Liberty
StephenDow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to see a new voice here in Mr Jones, and I'd say I agree with a good bit of what he had to say in the two posts above. I was at the meeting Saturday and it was quite a change in that there were a lot of new faces there. One addition to the committee (Leo McDermott) and several impressive individuals interested in running for office next year as Libertarians. Maybe I'll do a writeup about it sometime soon, but it's late at night right now. Mostly I wanted to acknowledge Mr. Jones and let him know that, Saturday's meeting notwithstanding, nobody is really happy with the state of the party. Both the LP of Alabama and the LP nationally are struggling.
mrjones0913

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Great News Reply with quote

This is great news that there are some new faces of the party. The party has been ran so long by the same people and has gotten stale. My only hope is that the new will not become the old. If we do not learn from the mistakes of the past we will repeat them. I agree with you on the state of the party as a whole on a national level a well. I think that we are in a time in history that if we do not make ourselves known then we will never find this opportunity again. We for so long, at least through my eyes and the people from outside the party that I talk too, have either thought we were a joke or a one issue party. This is a stereotype that we must shed. Like I have said before the first step here is to unite the party state wide and grow. Without growth there can be no hope. When I talk of hope I am tired of hearing ballot access lets put together a campaign and instead of just being on the ballot competing to if not win state wide elections at least force runoffs with our candidate in them. We can no longer be satisfied with getting on the ballot we must focus on winning the prize not being in the drawing for the prize.
StephenDow wrote:
It is good to see a new voice here in Mr Jones, and I'd say I agree with a good bit of what he had to say in the two posts above. I was at the meeting Saturday and it was quite a change in that there were a lot of new faces there. One addition to the committee (Leo McDermott) and several impressive individuals interested in running for office next year as Libertarians. Maybe I'll do a writeup about it sometime soon, but it's late at night right now. Mostly I wanted to acknowledge Mr. Jones and let him know that, Saturday's meeting notwithstanding, nobody is really happy with the state of the party. Both the LP of Alabama and the LP nationally are struggling.
StephenDow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is great news that there are some new faces of the party. The party has been ran so long by the same people and has gotten stale. My only hope is that the new will not become the old.

There was no indication the new people there were interested in "running the party." We did have one person become a member of the Exec Committee -- Leo McDermott drove up from the Mobile area and was named Mobile District Chair. Several were there because they are interested in running for public office in 2010 as Libertarians. A couple others were there to talk about an issue with which they are active. Two web tech guys who set up our state party website attended; I had communicated with them by email but hadn't met them before.
mrjones0913

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that we did not have some fresh blood. I misunderstood I am sorry. With help of a few like the two of y'all on this topic we can make the Libertarian Party a force in this state it will just take work that the heads of this state and national party have refused to do for years. We can no longer be seen as a all so ran but as a contender. I remember reading about the national convention and how confusion it was so many people trying for the nomination and none a real threat. Are we doomed to be happy to just be on the ballot as a token candidate or are we willing to fight to be a real party with real candidates with a real chance to win? I have looked at this board for a while where are the rest of the party heads . It seems when someone with a vision comes on board they run and stick their heads in the sand and hope that people like us go away so that business as usual goes on. When will there be change. We need a party in this state with a roll of at least 10,000 that gives us automatic access to the ballot with each ones signature. This also gives us a supporter base for statewide elections and a group of volunteers. Every time I have tried to help realize a great future for our party I seem to be brushed aside. When will this party stop being afraid and come together and I challenge more than the two typical responders here to answer and would love to here from y'all two as well.
StephenDow wrote:
Quote:
This is great news that there are some new faces of the party. The party has been ran so long by the same people and has gotten stale. My only hope is that the new will not become the old.

There was no indication the new people there were interested in "running the party." We did have one person become a member of the Exec Committee -- Leo McDermott drove up from the Mobile area and was named Mobile District Chair. Several were there because they are interested in running for public office in 2010 as Libertarians. A couple others were there to talk about an issue with which they are active. Two web tech guys who set up our state party website attended; I had communicated with them by email but hadn't met them before.
captruss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see Meeting results topic
paulie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I outlined the framework of a business plan for LPA ballot access and field organizing:

> It will cost $180,000 over 3.5 years for field organizers and fund raisers, plus about $20,000 in overhead such as maintaining the HQ (over 3.5 years). [Total $200,000]

This is far more than we have raised previously; it will get us statewide ballot access for all races in 2010 and 2012.

In addition to getting about 40,000 valid signatures for each year
(about 60,000 raw) we want to:

* Database contacts and give out thousands of brochures/fliers/business cards for the party.
* Get thousands of voters to sign postcards to their state
legislators to improve our state’s ballot access laws, and for the other legislative issues we are pushing.
* Start county chapters in all 67 counties, or as many as we can.
* Start campus groups at every college in the state, or as many as we can.
* Hand out fully informed jury rights information in every county.
* Register thousands of voters and spread information about restoring ex-felons voting rights to as many people as possible.
* Help organize and build single issue lobbying groups in every county on issues such as: compassionate care (medical marijuana), No to REAL ID and National Animal Identification Systems (NAIS), Proportional representation, Government transparency, Repealing the grocery sales tax, Free the Hops, ending the death penalty, Ending mandatory smoking bans for businesses, Ending the ban on sex toys, and other issues we identify in the course of field organizing throughout the state.
* Identify and recruit teams of candidates to run as a slate of Libertarian candidates for local and state office in each and every county.
* Market the Libertarian Party door to door to small businesses
throughout every single county in the state.

Let’s take the lemons that the state legislature has handed us in the form of prohibitive ballot access barriers and turn them into lemonade!

Paulie

This business plan needs a lot of work; if anyone reading has experience with writing business plans and would like to help, please let me know how to get a hold of you in the comments.

We would like to turn it into a presentation-quality business plan folder which we will distribute to attendees at the upcoming LSLA/LNC in Charleston, SC, Feb 27-Mar. 1st.

We would also like to send an email fundraising letter based on this plan to the thousands of opt-in subscribers to LPA chair Steve Gordon’s company, LibertarianLists. We are also interested in finding out more about other lists we can borrow, rent or purchase to raise money for implementing this plan as it progresses.
captruss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start Paulie. As I said in an e-mail to you I'm ready to start but I want to make sure the EC will support this effort.

Can you guarantee their full support?

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama Libertarian Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: